Can you believe we are about to wrap up another school year! Every year just goes by faster and faster. . .
The time has come to elect new Board Members for the Booster Club for the next school year 2016-2017. Each position is a one year commitment, so all positions are currently open. We would love to encourage more parents and staff to get involved in the Booster Club. This is such an important part of Lynnwood High School! The commitment is minimal, an hour or two a week, as the saying goes, “Many hands make light work.” If you are not currently actively involved with Lynnwood High School, this is a great place to plug in and stay informed! Please forward to any parent, staff, or volunteer you think may be interested.
The following positions are open and need to be filled:
• Vice President
Other Open Positions:
• Membership Coordinator
• Website Manager
• Auction Chair
• Club Liaison
• Sport Liaison
• Fundraising Committee Members
• Concession Volunteers
If we are unable to maintain enough of an ongoing volunteer staff, there is a great risk of the Booster Club dissolving, which will be a huge problem, specifically for the Staff at LHS but more importantly, the student body of LHS. Some food for thought:
1. Any fundraising each team or club conducts falls under the Booster Club Umbrella insurance policy. The Edmonds School District requires we carry insurance and cover all clubs/teams on any and all fundraising efforts due to liability issues. We also have a gaming license which is used primarily for raffles and we have a tax I.D. number which is given to businesses who donate funds. Without the insurance coverage, gaming license or tax I.D. number, you will have serious issues in your fundraising efforts. There are strict guidelines for fundraising from the District which must be adhered to.
2. We currently manage team/club checking accounts which houses all fundraising monies you have collected which can be used for intangible items such as a student athletes needing money for participation fees, ref fees, bus transportation fees, printing costs for team programs, spirit gear items for resale, miscellaneous items needed which aren’t tangible and run through the PTSA account (i.e., uniforms and equipment). As you know, your PTSA accounts can’t be used as a “checking account”. Furthermore, the ESD policy states no coaches or staff members can keep or handle money for their respective teams and/or clubs only a parent liaison/Booster Club representative. How will you collect your money and where will you house this money?
3. No more funding will be available for Senior Scholarships or the ESD Student Scholar Athlete.
4. No more assistance will be available to you in your fundraising efforts.
5. No more Concession Stand which is where many of you raise funds for your teams/clubs each year.
6. No more funds for students who are experiencing financial difficulties and can’t afford ASB cards, yearbooks, sports and club participation fees, food items for teams, clothing, prom expenses, the list goes on and on.
We hope you understand the magnitude of the affect the loss of the Booster Club will have on all of you. Sure, we all have busy lives, have other jobs and family commitments but being on the Booster Board isn’t a full-time job. It is a few hours a week, if that. We work towards the common goal of helping kids which is so important. We ask that you contact all parent volunteers you have worked with, friends who have kids or will have kids at LHS soon and anyone else you know who would be willing to take on one of the positions mentioned above
Over the years, we have provided academic scholarships, helped students pay sports fees and get required physicals, raised money with concessions, funded transportation to important events for clubs, and helped with food donations for needy students. Your support will help us accomplish even more this year.